Thursday, April 21, 2011

Sick Again...

Weston is sick again, and I'm SO sad about it! I stopped nursing Weston around his first birthday (January 20th), and has been non-stop sick since I stopped nursing him. We have been to the doctor or on an antibiotic every single week since I stopped. Did I do something wrong? Should I have done something differently, so his immune system would have built up better? I just can't help but blame myself though I truthfully know that it's not my fault.

It all started with the flu, then he had an ear infection, then he had bronchitis that turned into RSV along with another ear infection, then he had strep throat, then he had pink eye due to a terrible ear infection that was making his eyes inflamed and now he has strep throat again. Seriously?! He just finished his antibiotic for his ear infection last night, so 10 days ago we were at the doctor, and we were back the day after he finished the antibiotic. He woke up around 5:30 this morning with a fever of 103. He had a really red throat, so we decided to take him back in this morning.

He was given another antibiotic, and he was sent for bloodwork. The doctor wants to make sure that he doesn't have mono or something else, because he shouldn't have gotten strep throat while on an antibiotic especially since it was the same one he took to clear it up the last time. I'm SO sad for my little boy, and I just don't understand. How many kids at 15 months old have had strep throat twice?! How many doctors even question mono for a 15 month old?! I'm just really, really sad about it, and it makes me devastated to see the thermometer read 104.

On top of the sickness, he has terrible allergies. He loves being outside, but if he touches the grass, then touches his face...it swells up and breaks out. He sneezes and gets watery eyes outside, and it's just miserable for him. Also, he has a rash all over his neck and body. It's not a bad one, and the doctor says it's just his sensitive skin and the hot weather, but I've tried changing detergents and everything, and he still has the rash. Any ideas on how to get rid of it?

I pray that my child gets better and is able to stay better...I want him to be happy and healthy and enjoy life and not spend it sick all the time. Please be thinking of us if you have any spare time...we haven't had a really healthy last three-four months, and I'm hoping that it turns around soon. :(

5 comments:

Megan said...

I am so sorry you're little one is sick. I have a 15-month-old son(1.9.10), too, and when we put him in daycare he started getting sick constantly. (And he was breastfed until 14 months...) My husband and I were missing SO much work because we could never take Connor to daycare..and when we did, he was sent home sick again. After months of "The Sick", and ear infections that just wouldn't quit, and tons of antibiotics, he just seemed sicker and then he got tubes in his ears. He's gotten ear infections since, even with the tubes, and lots of antibiotics. So we've started giving him probiotics whenever he's on antibiotics. We use these (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&rlz=1R2ADBR_enUS398&q=probiotic+packets&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=9752334902533306886&sa=X&ei=MG6wTaHSLJPViALYnYiwBg&ved=0CEMQ8wIwBA#) and dump them in his applesauce and yogurt and they're tasteless. It has helped so much in preventing the rashes with antibiotics, and he would get yeast diaper rashes, too...it's all cleared up because of the active cultures in the probiotics. It's like a doc telling you to eat lots of yogurt when you're on antibiotics. It might be worth a shot...just to build up that good bacteria in Weston's system that has been wiped out due to antibiotics. I hope he's feeling better soon...hang in there, Mama!

Melanie said...

Hey girl - I've been meaning to congratulate you on the new little one that you're expecting! Congrats! I wish I had any idea how to help Weston... I hope he feels better soon! I do know that I have a good friend who is a doctor and is very anti-medications of all kinds... I started taking probiotics, vitamins and fish oil and have found I feel even better than I used to!

Momma Wilson said...

this just totally breaks my heart, many many many thoughts and prayers for you and your sweet boy!!!

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

Oh this sounds awful - I bet it's so tough. Hope he gets better!!

Unknown said...

You guys are in my thoughts & prayers & I hope that today is a better day!!!