Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Recommend your DSLR

So, I uploaded my photo's from Weston's 1st Christmas to my computer today, and I was SO disappointed. The quality of my little point and shot digital Sony camera is terrible, and I had way too many blurry and hard to see photo's. I'm so upset, because I didn't get many, if any, good photo's from this Christmas, and it's Weston's 1st.

I'm not going to let this happen again, and I have a birthday coming up this Spring, so I'm looking to purchase a DSLR or receive one for my birthday from my hubby and parents. Anyways, does anyone out there have a DSLR? If so, which one and do you have a recommendation?

I'd love to hear from all of you out there!!

10 comments:

Kelly said...

I have done an entire series of posts about my new camera. You can read about it here: http://kellyandlincoln.blogspot.com/2011/01/nye-at-farm.html Scroll down to the bottom to read about my camera.

I know exactly how you feel though. My old digital camera was so slow and I missed out on so many great moments with my son. I will never go back!

Jenifer said...

We got a cannon rebel and hate it. We so wish we had gotten the nikkon. It took a year for best buy to fix our lemon and we are stuck with it, its so frustrating. my inlaws bought the same camera/cannon rebel and have had no problems with it whatsoever. Ours is horrendous and I get made everytime we use it. It constantly freezes up and stops taking photos.

Natalie at Our Old Southern House said...

i have had a nikon d70 for five years (they don't make it any more). i'm saving for the nikon d300s...one day!

Megan said...

We have had the Canon Rebel XSI for 2 years and LOVE IT! I've captured the most amazing pics of my son's firsts. Only issue is when taking tons of photos using flash, it eventually stops taking them so quickly and flashes a busy signal...annoying.

Pam said...

I got the Nikon D3000 last year and I love it. (the D90 is the most popular DSLR, my BFF has that model and takes some amazing pictures) Since this is my first DSLR I'm taking a "click-workshop" class to learn how to use it a little better. The DSLR you choose is important, but knowing how to use it is even more critical in getting the pictures you want. Maybe they could also gift you a class... I bought one of these off groupon http://clickworkshops.com/ and of course you need a lens pet for Weston! So cute! http://www.etsy.com/listing/57926980/custom-peacock-lens-pet-for-your-camera

logan said...

Canon and Nikon are VERY compariable (you'll get a great camera either way), so it really just comes down to personal preference. Go to Best Buy, or somewhere, and hold both cameras in your hands. See which one feels better to you, since you'll be the one shooting with it.

Also, another great way to get the most out of a camera is to buy the brand that maybe some fellow friends have...that way you can share lenses. So if you have some friends that shoot with nikon, buy nikon. or vice versa.

Good luck! We're in the market too and are looking at the Canon EOS Rebel T2i. It was rated the best budget friendly DSLR. It's a good beginner camera. I don't need the crazy crazy expensive ones for my first DSLR (since I'm not planning on going pro or anything).

Lyryn said...

The new canon is amazing so if you can spend a lot.. Iwould totally do that. I don't have it but I played around with it. I however, have a 5 year old Canon xTI and still makes my pictures look awesome. have shot two weddings and professional photo shoots with it and it has never failed me. This is just my opinion of course.

Nikon and Canon are very compairable. The reason people fight over what's better is because its a brand loyalty thing. I've used both... I'm a canon girl just because I've used it so long and it's never done me wrong. If you want to see what my XTI does you can check out all my photos on my blog. www.Lyryn.com

Also...REally nice pictures have elot to do with the lens you have on the camera. My favorite lens is a 50mm 1.4. But that is probably too much information. Good luck

Lyryn said...

HAHA... I just read logans comment to you. I concour with that statement.

Ryan V. said...

Hi. I'm a regular reader of your blog! Since before weston was born actually! Haha I just wanted to say that nikon and cannon are very comparable. I have a nikon D3000 and love it. I got the kit lens and then bought a 35mm 1.8 lens and it is an awesome lens! Great for sharp subjects and blurry backgrounds-type thing. Nikons newer models have a "guide" feature which helps you learn the camera. I would also recommend taking a class because there are lots of buttons and features and you will get better shots knowing how to use the different settings. If you have a Ritz camera store in your area, I know they offer classes that are affordAble. Nikon D5000 has live view finder and a tad bigger screen but that wasn't worth the extra $200 or whatever the difference is between the D3000 and D5000...to me anyway. Check out my blog to see some pics www.jubilantimages.blogspot.com Good luck!! You can't go wrong with either cannon or nikon but I'm a nikon person :)

Sarah Denley said...

Well, we're looking to get one too and EVERYONE recommended the Canon Rebel to us. I had to laugh at your comment, because it was SO obvious! I feel like such a ditz now!