Now, my little boy has a double ear infection, and my heart is broken! He spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights waking up every 1-2 hours, and I knew that he must have an ear infection. On Friday night, he spent the night with my parents, so Grant and I could get some stuff done around our house in preparation to sell. My mom said he was up and down all night crying, and he might have an ear infection...he had a cold and runny nose last week! On Saturday, he was up every 1-2 hours, and he got up for good at 5:45 AM. It was the same thing on Sunday.
I called at 8:00 AM when the doctor's office opened, and they got me in at 9:15 AM. Dr. Baker, our pediatrician, saw us in the waiting room, and he waved to us, because we are old friends. The nurses said "Hi, Weston!" as soon as we walked in the door. I think that's a sign that we are there too often! Weston has been off the last antibiotic for 11 days, and he's back on another antibiotic. I feel SO bad, and I don't know what to do. I'm at a total loss, and I just feel like a terrible mother. I know that it's not my fault, but I do everything that I can, and he still gets sick. I nursed him for an entire year, and I thought that might help his immune system, but it seems to have made it worse.
My heart is breaking, because I'm getting constant comments from friends, co-workers and some family to the effect of..."OMG, is he really sick again?!" or "Unbelievable! Weston is ALWAYS sick!" or the best one..."What's wrong with that kid?" And I feel bad...those comments are not very encouraging to me and don't make me feel better. I feel like I did something wrong or something is wrong with Weston, because he's always sick. I'm trying so hard, but I still feel like a bad mother, because I can't do anything about it! As I sit here in tears, I just wonder if there is anything else that I can do...Is there something wrong with him that I don't know about that is making him sick all the time? We are going to the allergist on Friday, and I'm praying that he can help us figure something out. I would do anything to be sick all the time and have my little man be well!
Hello world!
2 years ago
5 comments:
Hang in there mommy. You are stressed and have a bunch on your plate right now. Breast feeding is the best thing you can do for you kid no matter how long you do it. Lots of kids nurse for a year and they are still sick. It is overall better nutrition than just an immunity booster. The effects of your immunity stop once you stop nursing...you can't nurse him forever.
My daughter has been sick once in two years (and I only was able to nurse for 10m before I dried up). My 4 month old son, exclusive bf, has been sick since birth it seems. We too are at the doc all.the.time. I feel like one of those freak out moms. So see it just varies from kid to kid.
I think getting a full body work up isn't a bad idea and seeing an allergist. Something more may be going on for him to keep getting ear infections.
It is so rude when other ppl say things about your kids. Clearly you don't want him to be sick again hang in there you are a great mommy! Hugs and prayers your way!
As a pediatrician, I just want to tell you not to feel bad. He has been sick back to back and that can definitely be stressful, but you've helped him so much with the breastfeeding you did for the year. Unfortunately children get colds ( an average of 9 per year that can last up to 2 weeks), and about 10-20% of the time, they can develop ear infections from a cold. Since he recently had an infection and got a cold again, its possible the ear infection did not have enough time to clear up. Just know you are a good mom, and his immune system is HEALTHY. But with over 200 different viruses, he will get sick from time to time, and some of those times will be back to back. Adults tend to forget that children get sick, a lot. Hang in there!
You poor thing! People's comments are always hard to take. I don't have any advice because I'm not a mom, but I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Hopefully you will get some answers on Friday from the allergist. Never doubt your ability- you are an awesome mom!
Praying for Weston and his little ears! People say the most stupid things sometimes without even thinking about it. I was telling someone the other day about how well my mom was doing post-surgery and how she was gardening and walking and having a great time- then another lady, who I was not even talking to, butted in and said, "Well, she'll pay for that when she's bloated like a frog!" I didn't even know what to say! People just don't know anything about other people's medical conditions but want to put their two cents in. You are obviously a wonderful mom because you are so concerned and do everything you can for Weston. I know it's hard to see your baby sick, but don't blame yourself.
Hello, I randomly came across your blog today and I feel your pain. I had a sick little one the first year and a half of her life. Its hard to keep going to the doctor and feeling like you can't do anything to make it better. I don't know the history of everything going on but I was against tubes if at all possible so I looked into pediatric chiropractors and we started that. Brooke had no more constant runny noses and no more ear infections at all. She is now four and we haven't had an ear infection since she was 16 months old. Anyway feel free to email me if you would like to know more. I just know how you feel and thought I would offer something you might not have heard of. I hope things get better.
Natalie
natalie.lowrance@gmail.com
Post a Comment