Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Motherhood FAIL

So, yesterday, I went to the dentist, and I had my mom come over and watch Weston while I went to get some cavities filled. I came home, and we relaxed together and my mom stuck around and we chatted for awhile. The afternoon was great! I went out to Wal-Mart to take care of getting a few items that we needed around the house while my mom was still at the house. I came back and all was quiet. As my mom prepared to leave, Weston started getting fussy, and he was crying as she headed out the door.

Grant got home and thought he would quiet him while I put up the items from Wal-Mart. No success...he couldn't get him to stop screaming. So, I decided I would switch off with him and see if I could settle him down. It was a complete FAILURE! He continued to cry and scream at the top of his lungs for the next hour and a half. We finally decided to bathe him and get him ready for bed, since he loves baths so much. That worked until he got out, and he started up again. About that time, it was time to eat, so I fed him, and afterwards, he started screaming again. I didn't know what to do...My baby was screaming at the top of his lungs, and I didn't know what was wrong, and I couldn't fix it. I felt like a terrible mother! I tried everything...walking with him, bouncing him, changing his diaper, feeding him, giving him gas drops and the list goes on.

Finally, as terrible as it sounds, I gave up. I couldn't do anything, so I decided to just put him down in his crib. I did, and he immediately stopped crying. I watched him on our video monitor, and he stayed awake looking around in his crib for about an hour and finally drifted off to sleep. We didn't hear another peep out of him until 2:00 AM when he was ready to eat again. I'm not sure what his problem was, and he is a different and very happy baby today, but that could change at any minute. :)

I on the other hand am having a hard time shaking it...I know that it's going to happen and there will be times when I can't make my little guy stop crying, but it's SO difficult. I feel like a bad mom, because I couldn't figure out the problem. And then laying him down stopped him from crying, so he'd prefer to be alone than with his mommy. :( I know that I will have MANY occasions when I feel like this, and I really need to get over it. I'm going to get frustrated and breakdown, and I'm going to feel like a bad mom sometimes. Everything isn't always perfect, and I have to accept that life is full of imperfections, especially with a little boy who doesn't always know what he wants. :) And when its not perfect...I have to remember that I have a loving, wonderful husband who will let me breakdown and cry when I'm feeling like a terrible mother and assure me that Weston loves me and that I'm a wonderful mother. I love him!

8 comments:

Candace said...

It is so frustrating when you dont know what they want! We have had a lot of screaming lately too. The gas drops usually solve the problem, but when they dont you just want to say "WHAT DO YOU WANT!?" I hear ya!!!

Michele said...

I can relate. My daughter was colicky for 18 count 'em 18 weeks!! There were so many times when I felt exactly like you and could not for the life of me figure WHAT SHE WANTED! Don't feel like a failure or beat yourself up, babies just do crazy things like that sometimes. You are fabulous mommy. And just so you know you did all the right things and sometimes you just have to put them down and walk away before you lose it. Sometimes they are overstimulated and are trying to tell you they need some down time. Shoot my daughter is one and I still don't know what she wants some of the time! HA! Hang in there!!

Annie said...

hun, don't be so hard on yourself. you didn't fail at anything!! he is a baby and has a mind of his own. maybe he just didn't know what he wanted either.
don't think of yourself as a failure. sometimes just letting babies fuss it out is what is just what is needed. it sounds like you handled the situation just right to me :)
i worked in an infant room for 3 years but i'm a bit nervous to some day take on the mommy role myself.

hope you are having a good week hun! post some pics of the little guy soon!

Anonymous said...

I don't think he preferred to be alone than with you - I think the little guy just wanted to lie down and have some quiet time. Don't be too hard on yourself. These moments happen.

The Flores Garden said...

I think we have all been there! It's all trial and error. For us, when Xavier is really fussy all he wants is to be bounced on the yoga ball. It took us awhile to figure that one out! For Weston, he may just want to be alone in his crib. It doesn't mean your a bad mom at all!

Unknown said...

When Brayden was colicy I decided that lots of crying didn't mean I was a bad mom it just meant he needed one of a billion things & it was my job to figure out which one he needed & fast......hahaha! I think we all have days like this but just know you are a good mommy & Weston loves you VERY much!!

Rachel and John said...

I agree with what everyone is saying. Tha fact that you're worried proves that you're a great mom.

Nicole-Lynn said...

You're so adorable.. I would feel the same way though. I'm sorry you felt that way though. You're very blessed to have such a wonderful husband to comfort you during those times :)