Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Well, he can roll over...

...and I found out the hard way. So, I was preparing a bottle of BM for Grant, because I was going to be away from the house this evening during Weston's dinner time. I didn't want Grant to have to deal with an angry baby until I got home, so I went ahead and used some of the fresh BM that I had pumped earlier in the day, and I made a bottle. Anyways, while I was making the bottle...I had left Weston laying on the couch. He was sound asleep next to me, and I moved him away from the edge with his head facing out and his legs facing the back of the couch.

I think you all know what is coming...I was finishing up with the bottle, and I had just put it in the refrigerator and was getting ready to turn around and walk back to the couch when I heard a loud "THUD" followed by a brief moment of silence. Then, I heard screaming! Weston had somehow rolled over and fallen off the couch onto the floor. I'm not sure how it happened, and I can't picture how he rolled off in my head, but he did it!

My heart immediately stopped, and I was shaking for fear that he was hurt. Thankfully, I scooped him up off the carpeted floor (and to think that we are preparing to replace with wood floors at some point), and I comforted him until he stopped crying. He only cried for a few minutes, and I felt all around, and he didn't have any pain. He has been fine all evening, so I know that he's not hurt, but he definitely gave me a heart attack! I will NOT leave him alone anywhere except in his crib, pack and play, swing or on the floor. I'm so grateful that it happened on the short fall from the couch to the floor and not our bed to the floor or the changing table to the floor. I've left him momentarily in those locations too, because he couldn't go anywhere.

I've definitely learned my lesson...the hard way!

14 comments:

The Pacheco's said...

Oh so scary Racheal! I wouldn't even recommend leaving him alone in the swing, believe me they will find a way, E started rolling over at 2 weeks, if you go to my 365 pics, you will see a pic of him sleeping sideways on the swing, that definatetly made me put the swing away. I am glad W is ok and can't imagine how scared you must have felt

Anonymous said...

That's super scary!

Just a heads up - try not to leave him with his feet facing the couch - they can kick the couch and push themselves off of it. :)

I'm glad he's okay!

Candace said...

I'm responding to your last two posts in this one.
1. Who cares when you put him to bed! If keating laid there without utterly losing it, I'd be so happy!
2. I'm glad that you posted about weston rolling over because I need to be more careful. I leave keating laying around everywhere! I need to stop!

Jen's Farmily said...

I think all kids fall like that sometime. I know my siblings were known to tumble down stairs. It scared them (and mom!) but we were no worse for the wear!

But Yay on his new rollover technique!!

LauraAnn said...

Oh my gosh! I am sure that was definitely scary!! I am glad that Weston is okay! :-)

My 18 month nephew is a little dare devil. Just the other night he decided to slide down the stairs on his stomach, head first. He got caught up about half way down and almost went head over heels. I about had a heart attack. I jumped up and grabbed him before he could go over. When I put him down at the bottom of the stairs he started screaming because he was mad at me for stopping him. So he walked up the steps and did it again.

Kelley said...

That is definitely a scary thing. But good things babies are so squishy at that age so they bounce back really quickly. But I would be freaking out too if that was my little man.
The frozen yogurt is called Kemps. I get the fat free kind, but they sale it in all varieties and flavors. Hopefully your grocery store will carry it for you cause it has been life changing :) Thanks for the sweet comment... I feel like my baby bump is just huge so i appreciate all the loving comments about me looking good.

Rachel and John said...

When I first started babysitting that happened to me, but in a basement apartment with really hard concrete floors covered in an area rug. The baby was totally fine, but it scared me so good that I now always surround babies with huge pillows so they can't roll, or put them on the floor.

Annie said...

oh no :( i can't believe he can roll over already!
i'm glad your little man is okay.

Unknown said...

Rolling over already....geez he must be a genius :) I am happy that he is alright; that must ahve been SCARY!!

The Pink Chick said...

Wow! I can't believe he is already able to roll over. I am glad he is okay after his little fall! Don't worry I think every baby has taken a tumble or two! :)

The Undomestic Mom said...

oh that is so scary! When Raleigh was tiny I would leave her then run back in thinking oh my gosh she could have moved! Its like they move at the craziest times! Glad he is okay! He is so adorable and I love the name Weston!

Kelly said...

Thanks for the comment. Makenzie weights 12 lbs. and it is all in her cheeks. ;)
Can't wait to see more pictures of Weston!

Crunkface. said...

i learned this the HARD way. Vegas rolled from her changing table to the floor.

she had never rolled before and i seriously thought i was going to die and had giult for days.

http://storiesfrommyute.blogspot.com/2010/02/so-im-officially-that-mom.html

Nicole-Lynn said...

Oh that is very scary. I'm glad he was ok! :)