Monday, October 19, 2009

You can just call me...Mrs. Waterworks

Because I've broken down sobbing twice in the last 24 hours...I'm assuming that it's my hormones trying to play tricks on me and letting stupid little things bother me, but I'm going to try really hard to restrain myself the next time something stupid happens, and I feel like breaking into tears!

Last night on the way home from taking Banks to his Hunt Test, I got an email on my phone from my sister. She was updating me on who all was planning to come to my Family Baby Shower on Saturday, the 24th. I read through the list, and I came across one of Grant's sisters, and she had replied "No". I can't tell you how disappointed that I was to see that. Showers work much better for me on Sunday, because we have a busy schedule, but we planned it for Saturday, because she told us that she wouldn't be able to come if we didn't have it on a Saturday. So, Saturday it is...then, she volunteered to help my sister with the shower, and she bailed on helping, because she was "too busy with work". Okay, I understand that...we are all busy, and I can't blame her for not wanting to help. Then, I sent her an email in early August, and I told her the date of the shower, so she would be able to work around her schedule and make it. She emailed me last week and told me she thought that she would be able to make it, and she would let me know by the end of the week. I never heard back from her but apparently, she emailed my sister and told her that it was her boyfriends birthday weekend, and she felt like she needed to be there to celebrate with him, etc.

I sent an email to both of Grant's sister's inviting them to stay with us the night of the shower, and I never heard back from either of them. I doubt his other sister will come either, as I'm sure she has other things to do, as well, though she has known the date for quite some time also. As soon as I saw the email, I mentioned something to Grant about it, and I just burst into tears. I am extremely hurt that they don't make an effort to come and share things with me and to be a part of my life. I love them both, and we get along great, and they are fun to be around, but they don't make things that are important to Grant and I a priority. I felt like making the decision right then to not come to any showers that they ever have, because why would I make the effort if they don't make the effort for me.

Also, Grant's mom is very similar. She is coming to the shower, but she'll blow me off when I invite them to come to Athens to visit. They are always too busy or have something else going on. I emailed her almost two weeks ago, and she still hasn't call me back. I called her on Thursday and left her a voicemail asking her a few questions and asking her to call me back. I haven't heard from her yet. It's just so disappointing, and I feel like I can't count on them. It's so different from my family. If I called my dad this morning, and I said I needed something, he would drop everything and help me out. Same with my mom and sister, but I don't feel like I could do that with Grant's family. He knows this, and he has had similar experiences with his family, so he doesn't ask them for much, and he doesn't talk to them often. It just sucks, because I want to have a close relationship with them like I do with my parents.

The second time I cried was this morning...I was standing at the door waiting on Grant to help me carry some photos that I wanted to take to my office to my car, because they were heavy, and I had my hands full. I left the door open while I was waiting on him, and I was letting all the cool air from outside into the house, so he snapped at me about closing the door, because I was wasting energy, etc. I don't know what it was about him telling me that, but I just broke down into sobs, and I closed the door and took the photos to the car one by one by myself. Just thinking about it now makes me want to cry again...And it's SO stupid! He was just trying to avoid our power bill from being outrageous! Why am I so emotional?! I hate this, because it's SO untypical of me, and I want to be back to normal! Ha-Ha! Hopefully, I'll be back to normal before long!

What a way to start off a Monday morning...hope everyone else has a great Monday!!

On another note...check out this great offer from Traylor Papers:
"Send us an email to VIP@traylorpapers.com with your name & address and we'll send you a free customized card with your name. Tell us your favorite colors and/or style (i.e., whimsical, classic, girly..., etc.) and we'll try to make you a match ;) BONUS: post this offer on your blog or wall, send us a link and we'll send you a few extra! Good thru 10/28/09!"

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its so hard dealing with family members who are different. Boodaddy and I are the same way. Our wedding was alot like what you are going through now.

I know its tough, but you are making the effort, and that's all that matters.

Beth Ann said...

I am sorry that you are having difficulties with your in laws. It can be very tough.

Thanks for the info on the Traylor Paper giveaway!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Oh bless your little prego heart! I have a friend with similar in-law experiences. After years of trying, she finally realized that they are not going to change. Stinks! Just enjoy the fact that your family is always there! Hang on...I hear the prego emotions get worse as time goes on. :)

Stephanie said...

I am sorry about the family drama. Families can be so hard. Hugs to you!

Sarah said...

Right there with your girl! I cried like 3 times this weekend!

Anonymous said...

I would totally cry about them not coming to the baby shower too! wow....I dont see how they won't come! It's extremely rude. I would be just as frustrated!

Rachel and John said...

I know how you feel about being let down from family. My cousins, (who were bridesmaids for my wedding) wouldn't come to my bachlorette just because they didn't feel like it. Talk about a let down. It just changes how you see your relationship with them. After the wedding I haven't really spoken to them. I'm not going to put the effort in if they aren't. I completely understand where your coming from! Hopefully you'll go back to normal after the wonderful baby comes! Then all your tears will be tears of joy!

The Pacheco's said...

I am so sorry you are feeling so emotional, and yes like you said, it will pass before you know it. Hang in there, maybe once little Weston is here, your DH's family will want to be around. Ohh and I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on hitting double digits! 99 days to go until your due date! Another milestone and something to smile about in my opinion! :) Hope your Monday gets better!

Carry Grace said...

I'm sure it's the hormones, and it will eventually pass. Hang in there girl.

autumn said...

I have a strained in-law relationship too...it is the most stressful and emotionally draining thing ever. Also I completely lost is last night because I spotted what I think are the first stretch marks.... pregnancy can really mess with you and suck sometimes (same goes for in-laws). I am sure you will start to even out eventually and just know that it is their loss on missing out on you and a great relationship with you. Also, my family shower is this Sunday! Happy Shower weekend to us!

Anonymous said...

It's hard dealing with a family that isn't like your own. I'm sorry they aren't making an effort, you deserve that!

Unknown said...

I remember those sobbing days so well & to be honest I still have them. I have never been one to sob but since being pregnant I feel like I am more sensitive to everything :) Hang in there!!

I am sorry that your relationship with Grant's isn't as close as you would like it to be but don't give up on them yet...maybe they will suprise you one day & just be there for you both!!

Candace said...

I would definitely remind them once Weston is here, that they didnt want much to do with him before he was born, so dont plan on playing the "favorite aunt" card! Im sure your sister will make your shower great!

Jane said...

Families can be such a sore spot sometimes! Keep your chin up, you are going to have the most beautiful baby so soon!!

Trac~ said...

Awww.. I'm sorry to hear about your in-laws not getting back to you in a timely manner. That's not very respective of you and your hubby at all. The waterworks are from the pregnancy - no worries they will soon pass, but I remember being pregnant and an emotional wreck at times too. Hang in there girlie. BIG HUGS, Trac~ :O)

Annie said...

oh hun, I'm sorry to hear you are a tad emotional rigt now. I hope it gets better soon. & I don't even know what to say about his family. Sorry you have to deal with that, I wish for your guys' sake they wanted to be closer. My fiances family is the same way so I can totally relate. Its hard to deal with and at our last get together I cried when we left, for my fiance because of the way his parents are. They are complete opposites of my fam. I hope in time things get better for the both of us.
sending a big HUG to you sweet girl! :)

Natalie at Our Old Southern House said...

ditto w/cooper's parents. ditto.
my parents do everything they can to help me--anytime i need it. his? well, they've only watched mm 3 times in 9.5 months and they live 5 mins away.
i totally understand what you're going through. i'm never important to his family.

Jen's Farmily said...

Yuck. That really stinks. While MrC's mom may be crazy at times, she'd do anything to help me out.

Every family dynamic is different, so maybe they just don't realize how cruddy they're being...